Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Canada!


Upon my return from Iceland in September, I was talking to my good friend Laurie about her plans for the week. She works for a company that provides youth sailing opportunities working together as the crew on tall ships that sail around different parts of Lake Ontario and surrounding waters. One of their ships was at a tall ship festival in Montreal, and Laurie was on her way to Montreal to help sail it back to Toronto. This sounded really cool and naturally lead to a discussion about how much fun it would be for me to join in on the adventure. At this point I had over a month until my next season started in Antarctica, so when Laurie called me up the next morning to ask if I was still interested, I immediately agreed.

That evening I boarded an overnight bus, arriving in Montreal in the wee hours of the morning. I caught a couple hours of sleep in the Montreal bus terminal and then headed to the port to meet Laurie. I was able to pick out our ship, the STV Pathfinder, fairly easily because I had sailed on her before. After meeting the crew and settling in, we prepared the ship for departure. It was an exciting departure as our fleet of tall ships cruised out of the port of Montreal; with spectators waving goodbye from shore.

We cruised up the St. Lawrence River on engine power, and as soon as we hit the open waters of Lake Ontario the captain cut the engines and left them off for the remainder of the voyage. It was an incredible way to spend the week; I learned a good deal about sailing tall ships, spent some good quality time catching up with my friend that I hadn't seen in a while, and spent some time reflecting on where I was at and where I wanted to go. I really needed this reflection time, because just before our departure from Montreal I received a phone call encouraging me to apply for an office job. This was no ordinary office job to me, it was a position in expedition operations for the polar travel company that I had been working for on the ships in Antarctica and the Arctic.

I was very tempted to continue working in the field, but eventually decided I couldn't turn down this amazing opportunity to put my experience and education to work; especially since the position directly related to my Business Degree's concentration of Operations Management. So that's where I'm at now, 8 months later, working full time in Toronto for a polar travel company and really enjoying it! Luckily I still get to spend some time in the field; this past February I did 2 voyages in Antarctica working the position of Logistics Manager, and this summer I have the privilege of working as logistics staff on our voyage to the North Pole!

The STV Pathfinder
 Sailing out of Montreal Harbour
 Some of the crew

 Going through the locks in the St. Lawrence


 Laurie D!
So many ropes!
My reflection time

No comments:

Post a Comment