Monday, April 22, 2013

Saint Petersburg, Russia

Since I was already in Russia for the North Pole voyage, I decided to take a trip to St. Petersburg & Moscow in July. After checking into my hostel in St. Petersburg, I wondered around the city to get my bearings. I liked watching boats drive through the rivers with nice buildings in the background.
I found a symphony orchestra warming up for an outdoor performance, so I stayed and listened for a little while.

The first night at my hostel I was quickly reminded of what makes hostels so good - the people you meet! I first met Paul, from the Netherlands and later on Dora, from Hungary. The three of us ended up making plans to go on a day trip the following morning to Peterov, the summer palace of Peter the Great.

The fountains in the backyard of Peterov

Backyard of Peterov

Frontyard of Peterov.

We observed that Russian women always make a special pose in their pictures, so this was my special pose.

There was talk at the hostel about the performance "White Swan." Everyone was shocked that I had never heard of it. Dora was really into ballet, and aparrently Russia is the best place to see it, so somehow I was convinced to go to the ballet. I didn't regret going...but I'll probably never go to the ballet again...

The next day I went to the Hermitage Museum with David, from Spain. It has an overwhelmingly large selection of peices from all over the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment