At the second-highest level of this building (above), you can see a hook. A pully can be attached to this for moving big pieces of furniture upstairs because the stairs are so narrow in old Dutch houses. You can also see four black staples that are actually helping to keep the building in tact. I thought this was pretty cool!
I was walking around a little bit aimlessly yesterday and ended up catching the beginning of a free walking tour. It was a lot of fun and I learned some interesting things. I particularly liked learning about some of the engineering that goes into the houses. I'd like to learn more about the water system used for keeping it dry, something that's very important considering how much of the city is below sea level - including their international airport! If you're interested more in red-light district kind of things, I also learned that the oldest prostitute in Amsterdam is 75. Oookay.
No comments:
Post a Comment