Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ko Chang

After saying goodbye to my Thai family, I went for a short stay on Ko Chang before my departure from Thailand. I stayed at a place called Little Eden, where a few Snake Islanders have stayed before including Tara, Joss, Eric & I believe Leah. Interestingly enough, while I was at Little Eden I met a couple named Martin & Gina who were also there back when the islanders were there a couple years ago; and that seemed to instantly make us friends. They were a really cool couple & very well traveled. There were a few others there and in the short period of time that I was there it felt like we all got to know each other well by just sitting around on the deck in the mountains having a wide range of discussions. One thing going on at the time that yielded daily discussion was the volcano in Iceland and resulting dust cloud, particularly because most of the group was from England and had upcoming flights. Some other interesting topics of discussion included cars, flying, traveling and many more random trains of thought. A very relaxing and yet insightful way to spend some time.

I also did some touring around on a moped, both with the group and on my own. The first day on the moped a group of us went to Bangboa; a cool gathering of shops & restaurants sitting on docks above the water. After that we went for iced tea at a nearby restaurant followed by sunset at a nearby beach. Later on we checked out an entertaining Thai band playing a wide range of music including Bob Marley, The Beatles, Lynard Skynard and The Rolling Stones. The next day I went out on the moped and spent some time just driving around checking things out with no real destination in mind, besides booking my bus to the airport. That night the group of us went out for dinner and then to a nearby pub.

The following day was my last day in Thailand, so I got up in good time and took another moped ride to Bangboa because I really liked the place and still had a couple hours left on my 48-hour rental. After that I said my goodbyes and then caught a bus to Bangkok airport. I spent the night at the airport and caught an early morning flight to Hawaii the next day.


The owners of the place on the right and Martin & Gina on the left
Bang Boa



The fuel gauge on my moped exaggerated how low it actually was, but I should have known that it was time to fill up when I saw it at this level. Luckily after running out of fuel I was able to coast down the hill right into a gas station.

The view as I was running out of gas
The airport bus took about 15 mins to get off the ferry. If you click to zoom in you can see the front bumper got cracked and the back bumper is dragging along the ferry floor.

The chaos at the Bangkok airport because of delays from the volcano dust cloud

No comments:

Post a Comment