We headed to the main streets armed with 2 barrels of water in the back of the truck. It was soo much fun, and the fun lasted for hours and hours, 3 days in a row! The locals were incredibly nice to me, as a foreigner. There weren't too many of us foreigners around so when they saw me they'd run up to me, say some English they knew like, "Hello! What's you name?" And of course, "drink some of this!" Good times in deed. I couldn't stop laughing, everytime we engaged in a water fight with another group I found it halarious!
On the closing day of the festival, the Master Monk asked me a favour. I knew it had something to do with the float that his temple had put together, featuring Buddha. I didn't know what I was getting myself into, but I agreed because who can say no to a Monk asking them a favour? I was also intrigued by what was going on with the float. I soon learned that I agreed to be on the float with Buddha, along with just three others, one of whom was dressed like some kind of princess. I had to go to a place to get all dressed up in uniform before hoping on board. We then paraded the busy streets, led by a truck with a full instrumental band on board. I felt a bit concerned about what the locals would think of a white guy sitting on the Buddha float, but once again it was all positive reaction from the locals! Some people literally made me feel like a king by the excitement they showed when I shook their hands. And one part I found particularly funny was when I waved at a truck full of teenage girls and they all screamed with joy! I actually felt a bit like a rock star :)
The parade lasted 3 hours. At first I thought I might get bored and wondered how I'd bare the heat. And then one of the other people on the float started accepting drinks from locals in the crowd and encouraged me to do the same. I gladly joined in on the festivities, and shortly after I set aside the umbrella they provided me with and allowed some direct hits of water from other festival goers. What a fantastic end to the water festival and my time with the Thai family!
No comments:
Post a Comment