Saturday, February 21, 2009

Liverpool


Nearing the end of my trip, I had to decide what to do with my remaining time. I considered going to Greece, Venice, and Rome, but for some reason I got the impression that England was a must see place for a European trip. This was not only the cheaper option, it also involved a lot less travel time which made it the most practical choice. I also really enjoyed my time, so there’s little doubt that I made the right choice going to England.

On Feb 14th I flew from Portugal to Liverpool to visit Rupert, another friend from Copenhagen. He met me at the airport and we went back to his student dorm. By the time we got back and had some food it was well past midnight and we were both exhausted so we called it an early night. The next day we explored the city, checked out the tourist attractions, and went to a few pubs. One of which was The Cavern, the place credited for having the Beatles play there on many occasions, early on in their music careers. We went back for dinner and then headed back to The Cavern to listen to some more Beatles cover music. The next day we went to the maritime museum where there was a lot of stuff related to the Titanic, Lusitania, and Empress of Ireland – all 3 of which sank within 3 years of each other. Later on, we went to the Beatles Story, a museum dedicated to the life of the Beatles. I learned quite a bit of stuff I didn’t know about the Beatles and really enjoyed it. Of course it gave me even more appreciation for their music. That night, we met up with one of Rupert’s friends and went out to a club in Liverpool. I’m usually not a huge fan of clubs but I rather enjoyed my time at this one; they played my kind of music. Later that night we took a little mission to Penny Lane, mainly because I never knew that was the lyrics of the song I know very well and when I found out I really wanted to go there…anyone know what song I’m talking about?? Maybe Dad does…anyway, it goes something like this, “Penny Lane, is in my ears, and in my eyes..." I’m sure if you heard it you’d recognize the song, but maybe not the lyrics.

The next day I said my goodbyes to Rupert, insisted he come to Snake Island one day, and caught a bus to London.



Rupert

Outside the Maritime Museum


The Cavern Club


In Chinatown, the largest Chinese arch outside China

One of many English pubs we visited

Out clubbing

4am mission to Penny Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment