Friday, February 12, 2010

New Zealand begins!

I arrived in New Zealand late on Feb 4th. I said a quick hello to Kimbo (who had just been at the AC/DC concert in Auckland) and then headed to bed. We got up in good time and began the hunt for a vehicle. Kim was leaning towards renting a car but I was convinced it made more sense to buy one. After test driving a crappy old Honda Prelude that reaked of gas & oil, and then actually considering still buying it for $1150, I was starting to think we should rent as well so we didn’t end up with a lemon. But the search continued a little longer and I found a van being sold by some fellow Canadians. This wasn’t just any van, it was a Mazda MPV, virtually identical to the classic van our family had when we were kids. After taking her for a test drive, we knew she was the one and bought for a smooth $1600. We made it to the post office to transfer ownership just before closing, purchased some insurance, and hit the road. We didn’t really know where we were going, just that we were ready to begin.

Since then we’ve done lots of exploring to the North of Auckland, checking out big trees, and going sandboarding. Sandboarding was lots of fun! The last three nights we stayed with some friends of friends of Kims, and had such a great time that I can safely just say we stayed with some friends. We’re continuing on South and expect to catch the ferry to the South Island by Sunday or Monday. Everyone we talk to says the South Island is the place to be, so if it’s even better than where we are now we are up for some really good times ahead!
Kim taking the van for a test drive
Kim receiving the keys to her first vehicle
Where we woke up the next morning

An island that Kim & I swam to

Kim being Kim

On the boat to sandboarding

Sandboarding


No comments:

Post a Comment